Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Creativity Gone Awry?

There is danger involved in being crafty. Just one walk through Joann's and it becomes quickly apparent. Or go to a holiday craft fair. Lots of cute stuff ... but you will find that somebody crossed the line. My 94 year old friend and aunt, Blondy, and I have talked about this at times. She is an artist and creative! I've always been so amazed with her stuff because it's so cool. She really doesn't make sad, tacky things. The quintessential example of tacky crafting to her and I is the crocheted butterfly. She told me once that they had a little craft sale in the building that she lives in and one of her neighbors was selling crocheted butterflies. Blondy had a wave of compassion for this poor woman and bought one. She brought it home and took it apart and used the parts for something else. Crocheted butterfly morphed into something cool.


So, here's a little sweater I knitted. It is in dangerous territory. I can't decide if it's gone over the line. I showed it to my husband. He got an Ania-look on his face (a boo-boo lip) and said, "Boo-pid." Which was, I think, a nice way to say that he thought it crossed the line. He was too nice to say, "Stupid." It didn't hurt my feelings 'cause he usually likes my stuff and I knew I was in dangerous territory before I showed him. What will I do with it? I don't know. What's it for? I don't know. I suppose the question really is: should I buy a crocheted butterfly to put it on?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, Kristine. I just don't know! It's kinda cute...how small is it exactly? Can it possibly fit any of your girls' dolls? I voted for putting it on a package and calling it good. Definitely not your life's calling. :)

tara said...

I think you can pull it off, Kristine...not many could, but you can on this one! Especially since you added the daisy! :) I can totally see this in some display...walk like you own it!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I think it could totally work on a gift as a tag...a few times. It could a season in a crafter's life-the little sweater season. For it does has a sincere sense of cuteness. But in the end, I really think it wants an egg to keep warm.

Squaw Creek Ranch said...

I second the gift tag idea. That is what I saw. You could always fashion a little hanger out of black wire and hang it in your laundry room on a little shelf with one little wooden peg? I'd look twice and admire it. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'd say you're treading on thin ice... but darn it, it's cute.