Monday, March 30, 2009

Conference Day

In the past, parent/teacher conferences at our house have always needed to be handled very delicately. Dealing with people's children can be a most sensitive subject. You can imagine, with me, these conversations.

I say to myself, "You know, (this child) could really use a little help in this area." I respond, "Yes, I have been aware of that, actually." To which I respond, "I have a few suggestions for you." At which time, I welcome the suggestions but ask how exactly I am to impliment those ideas in a world already brimming with things that need doing. Then I go on to cover other areas that need attention. Near the end, after a list of things that need work, I try to pry from myself whether or not this child has any strengths! At which time, a few are acknowledged.

Of course, I'm just poking fun at myself and the nature and difficulty of being both the parent and the teacher.

So, you see, today's parent/teacher conference was such a breath of fresh air! We met with Ania's preschool teacher and the speech therapist and had a wonderful chat about Ania's school days. I am amazed at how accurate their insights and assessments are regarding Ani's speech and strengths and weaknesses. It was so great to have two sweet ladies so attentive to Ania's needs and growth and to hear them articulate their goals for her. I'm so thankful to have their help with her speech needs. We really couldn't ask for a more perfect situation.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I am so glad to hear it is going well. It sounds like our Ania is THRIVING in her school! Yea for her!

marie said...

What an amazing God we have Who knows and tends to our needs before we even know or ask. His hand is evident in Ania's life. She is doing great and you are doing great, too, Kristine. There is a certain amount of courage needed to "go where no man has gone before". You are a great mom.